Have you ever given a second thought that the world’s drought is by far due to a culture whose diet is mainly animal-based? If you compared the consumption of water of the entire world population, you would not even get close to the consumption of water of cows. Putting this into numbers, this means that 7 billion people consume 5.2 billion gallons of water and 21 billion pounds of food in comparison to 45 billion gallons of water and 135 billion pounds of food that are consumed by cows. However, that’s not all as cows also account for an incredible emission of methane summing up to 150 billion gallons per day. Read on to learn more about the disastrous impact of an animal-based society.
“With California’s drought reaching near-crisis proportions, Gov. Jerry Brown has ordered mandatory water use reductions for the first time in history. Here’s a look at 12 reasons from the documentary Cowspiracy why the best way to solve drought problems worldwide is by going vegan.
1. There are 7 billion people on the planet and 70 billion animals used for food.
2. Here’s how much food and water 7 billion humans consume, compared to just 1.5 billion cows.
Humans: 5.2 billion gallons of water and 21 billion pounds of food Cows: 45 billion gallons of water and 135 billion pounds of food
3. Animal agriculture uses 55 percent of the water in the U.S.
Meanwhile, California is facing an unprecedented drought.
4. If you follow California’s recommendations for saving water, you’ll save 47 gallons a day.
5. But it takes 660 gallons of water to produce 1/4 pound of hamburger meat.
And it takes 1,000 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of milk.
6. Worldwide, the meat and dairy industries use 30 percent of our fresh water every day.
And water isn’t the only problem.
7. Animal agriculture is the source of 51 percent of all greenhouse gasses.”
Read the full article at peta.org!